Countdown!

Thursday 17 April 2014

University Dorms

First of all congratulations to everyone that has received an offer for UVM Kosice already! Go you! :)
I've had a few comments and messages asking for information about the university dormitories and what you need to bring with you because there isn't much info out there.



The rooms are meant for 2 people so they are a good size. Off the top of my head I would say about 12 x 14ft (approx. 3 x 4.3m). All the rooms have the following as standard:
2 single beds and 2 sets of bedding
2 desks
2 chairs
2 shelves (a lot of the rooms have more)
2 desk lamps
1 mirror
1 sink
1 refrigerator (some have a freezer compartment)
Large wardrobe/storage

Sometimes the previous occupant will have left some things behind as well, so there’s a bit of luck involved.

Here are a couple of views of my room when I first arrived. I have now decorated etc so it looks a bit nicer but this is what you can expect when you first arrive. Some of the rooms are decorated by previous students but mine wasn't so this is the 'dorms colour scheme'.

 

You can push the beds together to make a double, stack one on top of the other (which is what I have done so I have more space) or keep them separate and use one as a sofa. The bedding isn’t always the best quality and I ended up buying my own. 

Each corridor of 11 rooms has 4 toilet cubicles, 3 showers and a small kitchen area. The ‘kitchen’ is cupboard-sized and usually just has a microwave and a hot plate so a lot of people have mini ovens, kettles etc. in their own rooms. 

Pretty much everything you need for your room can be bought out here for cheaper than it would be at home so you really don’t need to bring much with you. All I brought with me when I first arrived was a suitcase full of clothes and it has been fine.  

If you’re a tea drinker and particular about what brand you drink I would bring some teabags with you. The only black tea blend that I have seen is Lipton Yellow Label which is nice enough but it’s quite expensive for not many teabags. Marks and Spencer also sell English Breakfast and a few other blends that are nice and work out fairly cheap (I only recently discovered this!).

Also if you like writing on nice quality paper then bring a few pads with you. All the lined paper I have found out here has been quite flimsy. 

I would bring a little first aid kit too with paracetamol and cold remedy in case of the dreaded fresher's flu. Even graduates aren't immune, apparently, since I came down with it fairly quickly in the first week of lectures! Paracetamol etc. can be bought out here over the counter but trying to ask for something in Slovak while you're not feeling your best isn't pleasant so I'd bring a small stash with you.


Other than that you can bring as much or as little as you want because as I said, most things can be bought out here.

I hope that helps, if I think of anything else important I will add it to this post. Now I am off to enjoy a few days at home while we have the long weekend off for Easter :)

Bye for now!

Lucy

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for all the info on the dorms :)! Very helpful! Mentally decorating it in my head now haha. I was just wondering what you would recommend reading/reviewing before coming to Kosice? Im a bit worried I've forgotten much from my BSc degree so would be nice to read over some topics before starting so I feel slightly more prepared. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No problem! I didn't really do any extra reading before I started but if you're keen then the modules you will do in the first semester are Histology, Microbiology and Embryology, Anatomy, Physiology and Genetics (Also Slovak language and Latin). If you have any good notes on any of those subjects from your past degree then you might want to bring them with you but I think you can get on ok without reading ahead or bringing extra notes :)
    Also if you have the syllabuses from covering any of those subjects before then bring them with you because it's possible to get exempt from all or part of a subject if you've done it before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, im thinking of applying to Kosice this year, wondering if you could email me so i could ask you a few questions? reeya.parekh@btinternet.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm a mature student thinking of applying to the grad vet med course in Kosice. I was wondering how people on the course fund tmeselves? Fees and living expenses. I would love to get more information from you. My email is sarahcocklin55 @hotmail.com

    Gods luck with your course!
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. you provide best furniture and i see lots of things it is very necessary for
    every student .
    lots of student want this type of accommodation thanks fro your helping post .
    keep it up .


    Cheapest student apartments in Manchester | Closest student accommodation to Manchester University

    ReplyDelete